How does the Rule of Thirds impact your reputation & bottom line?

Throughout the last decade, digital media has changed the way businesses market their brand to buyers. Traditionally, marketers are practiced the 80/20 rule: 80% is focused on educating customers about industry trends, facts and opinions about products and services and the remaining 20% is sales promotion (i.e. discounts, rebates, etc.). This blog will define the Rule of Thirds and how the Rule of Thirds impacts your brand online.

The Rule of Thirds is a guide for digital marketers to diversify the quality of content that they release for customers and followers online. The Rule of Thirds is broken down into three different types: Promotional, Personal and Sharing.  

1.     Promotional: 1/3 of your content should consist of promoting sales and discounts for customers to buy your products or services. The purpose is to drive followers to your website and to convert those followers into paying customers. For example, your business can run contests on social media to encourage followers to invite their associates, friends and neighbors within your target market. A new follower has the potential to be your next sale if you provide a call to action. In this case, followers are competing for discounts online that drive up online engagement on your company profile!

2.     Personal: 1/3 of your content should concentrate on your company’s personality. Meaning, you need to show customers that you’re a human being and that you care about the community as much as you care about your bottom line. For example, if your company is a co-sponsor of a local charity fundraiser, then take pictures of your team with the charity and post online. You’re not only promoting your company’s reputation as charitable, but also, the charity is getting free publicity too! The ultimate goal is to draw followers in to see that you are more than just a brand.

3.     Sharing: 1/3 of your content should focus on industry trends. This means your company should identify industry leaders and other reputable resources to post content that educate people about how your industry impacts their business and the economy. For instance, if you’re a Real Estate Attorney and your local community has passed a strict code enforcement ordinance, that’s something you would want your clients and potential clients to know about immediately. The ultimate goal is to prove that you’re the go-to expert in your target market.

Impact:

The Rule of Thirds helps you prove that your company is the go-to in your target market. You may not be the top company in the world, but you can be the top competitor in your local target market. If you diversify what you post, instead of saying “Please like my Facebook page” all the time, then you can generate leads by showing different sides of your business. Be funny, informative and open-minded, but most importantly, be consistent about what your brand stands for. As a result, you’ll attract enough sales to build up your bottom line.

Summary:

In short, the Rule of Thirds is a guide for you to stay ahead of your competitors and in front of your followers, consistently. When you demonstrate that you care about your team and your community, you have proven to your target market that their money spent will be worthwhile. Buyers are always looking not just for sellers, but also, for long-term partners that they can believe in and trust. Be the brand that you would want others to believe in. Get started with the Rule of Thirds!